Sound Inspections is your full service inspection and engineering service. We provide municipal as well as third party inspections services, by only the best inspectors in the business. Our engineering division is well known for fast friendly service for all of your repair design needs.
Our well qualified inspectors are here to help your project along through their knowledge of construction method, materials and design.
We take pride in our ability to keep our customers aware of the inspection process to reduce failed inspections.
By communicating to the customer what we need to inspect and the commonly found mistakes we feel the construction is more sound and progresses more smoothly
without the need to remove and replace existing work.
About Sound Inspections LLC.
Frank Mellas -President
fax (253) 276-0064
Frank Mellas started his career in the building industry before becoming a building inspector for the city of Puyallup. During his service to the city of Puyallup he worked his way from inspector to building Official and Building Plans Examiner. Frank attended Chemeketa Community college and holds an Associates of Science degree. After leaving Puyallup, he went to work in a private sector job performing professional services for an engineering firm. Frank holds certifications for Certified Building Official, Certified Plans Examiner, Certified Building Inspector, Certified Mechanical Inspector, Certified Plumbing Inspector, and Certified Fire Inspector. Frank is a past president of both the Western Washington chapter of the International Conference of Building Officials and the Washington Association of Building Officials.
- A.S Chemeketa Community College, Salem, Oregon: Building Inspection Technology
- Supplemental Education by I.C.B.O and SEAW: UBC Structural Retrofit for Existing Buildings, UBC Alternate Application Methodology, UBC Structural Design Requirements, Washington State Accessibility Code Review, Snow Loads for Buildings, SEAW
- Certified Building Official, Conference of American Building Officials, CABO
- Certified Plans Examiner-International Conference of Building Officials, I.C.C.
- Certified Building Inspector- International Conference of Building Officials, I.C.C.
- Certified Mechanical Inspector- International Conference of Building Officials, I.C.B.O.
- Certified Plumbing Inspector- International Conference of Building Officials, I.C.C.
- Certified Fire Inspector- International Conference of Building Officials, I.C.C
- Past President Washington Association of Building Officials, WABO
- Past President Western Washington Chapter of the International Association of Building Officials, I.C.B.O
- Expert in Residential and Commercial building water intrusion inspection/investigation
Mr. Mellas has substantial experience in the administration and performance of inspections related to building, fire and life safety, mechanical and plumbing codes. Mr. Mellas is highly qualified in both structural and non-structural plan review and is an experienced expert witness in codes and construction technology. Additionally, Mr. Mellas has served on I.C.B.O fire and life safety committees since 1990, and has contributed in writing and development of Uniform Building Code (UBC) and the 2000 International Building Code (IBC)
- Instructor of Advanced UBC and IBC Plan Review at Tacoma Community College
- Instructor of Mechanical systems Inspections for I.C.B.O
- Mr. Mellas has been directly involved in the business of building construction and inspection for over 35 years. His working knowledge of building technology and construction practices provides the insight and background necessary to be an effective and successful investigator and problem solver.
Joey Tedder - Building Inspector / Structural Investigator
fax (253) 276-0064
Mr.Tedder received his certifications through the International Code Council (ICC)
- ICC Commercial Building Inspector
- ICC Residential Building Inspector
- ICC Building Inspector
- ICC Building Plans Examiner
- ICC Residential Mechanical Inspector
- ICC Residential Plumbing Inspector
PROJECTS WORKED ON
- South center mall expansion- Tukwila, WA
- Valley medical birthing center, Lobby entrance and surgery center expansions- Renton, WA
- Municipal Inspections and 3rd party fire stopping inspections at valley medical emergency services tower- Renton, WA
- The Commencement - 6 floor condominium building in Ruston, WA
- Life safety survey for Harrison medical's statement of conditions in Kitsap county, WA
- Shear framing and building envelope inspections at several Bill Riley Com
Building Officiating Services
Sound Inspections is a full service building department contractor. We provide friendly on demand services for small cities and towns that cannot justify employing a full time Building Official. We also provide temporary services for excessive work loads and absences.
Inspections has investigators for all of your
We are dedicated to find the source of the
problem. After the investigation, we will write a
detailed report with recommendations or appear as an
expert witness in court. Through mutual
cooperation, the troubles of a misfortunate event could
construction failures and accident mitigation needs.
Third Party Inspection Services
Sound Inspections is your place for Third Party Inspections.
Depending on your project You may need a third party inspection for your structure. Our Inspectors are experienced in these required inspections that are called out by Architects, Engineers, State and local Agencies.
Many Architects, Engineers and Building Departments call out on your plans for third party Inspections for Epoxy embedment of rebar or bolts into concrete. We will gladly send out one of our inspectors to witness the work and take photographic evidence of your work, when done we will write an onsite observation record and send an Engineers report to satisfy any requirement.
Engrossed House Bill 1848
Engrossed House Bill 1848 requires third party inspections for building enclosure on all multifamily construction. Sound Inspections offers a complete package for your EHB1848 needs.
- Engineered building enclosure details (Submittal Documents)
- Exterior Shear Nailing Inspection
- Roof Nailing Inspection
- Window wrap and penetration Inspection
- Building wrap Inspection
- Framing Inspection
- Negative Pressure Window Test
- Sound Proofing Inspection
- Final Inspection
- Final report and picture CD
Even when not required, it is in the developer and customers best interest to have an Experienced Inspector onsite at critical stages of the project to inspect for defects that could cost thousands to repair if said defects were to go undetected. Many Municipal Inspectors are overworked and are only looking for obvious code violations, our Inspectors take the time to really look over your project and offer solutions to prevent the unforeseen from occurring.
Repair Design Services
Sound Inspections has structural investigators that are qualified and experienced in the design of residential and commercial structures. With this knowledge, we can easily draw plans to repair any type of damage. Whether it is fire, storm, accident, or disaster related our structural investigators and engineers will have your repair design in short order so that the contractor can get started faster.